The UK Smoking Ban
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The UK Smoking Ban

Here is a chance for people of all shades of opinion to discuss the rights and wrongs of the UK smoking ban.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise?

Go down 
+4
Lilachamster
ostrogoth
soapy
Admin
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise? Empty
PostSubject: Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise?   Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2008 12:42 pm

Does the smoking ban adequately balance the rights of all groups of people who are affected by it?
Back to top Go down
https://uksmokingban.forumotion.com
soapy

PostSubject: Re: Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise?   Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2008 1:01 pm

No it is not, why should smokers be penalised for persuing a legal highly taxed activity simply because non smokers chose not to open non smoking premises, if the demand was there they would have existed so clearly there was never a demand for non smoking pubs.

To legalised descrimination in this cavalier manner is nothing short of tyrannical and worthy only of Nazi's.
Back to top Go down
ostrogoth

PostSubject: Re: Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise?   Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2008 1:28 pm

IF SOME PUBS ALLOWED SMOKING AND SOME NOT, ROUGHLY PRO RATA TO THE NUMBER
OF SMOKERS AND NON SMOKERS , WE COULD DISCUSS THE RIGHTS AND WRONGS OF
SMOKING. WHEN THAT DAY , IF EVER , ARRIVES, ONLY THEN CAN THE ISSUE OF FAIRNESS
BE DEBATED BY MEN AND WOMEN WHOSE OPINION IS BASED ON REASON AND COMMON SENSE

A TOTAL BAN BY IT,S OWN TOTALITY NEGATES ANY COMMENT BY IT'S SUPPORTERS ON
THE ISSUE OF DEMOCRACY FREEDOM OR TOLERANCE.

WHEN I LISTEN TO THE ADVOCATES OF TOTALITY THEIR LIES AND DECEIPT BETRAY THEIR
FUTILITY AND COWARDICE. THEY POUR THEIR CRINGING NEUROSIS DOWN THE GAPING
MOUTHS OF THE UNKNOING AND EASILY LEAD.

TO THEM AND SIMILAR
FAC UT VIVAS

OSTROGOTH
Back to top Go down
Lilachamster

PostSubject: Re: Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise?   Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 2:38 pm

Problem is for many years before the ban pubs had the chance to create this situation where we had enough non-smoking pubs, it did not happen, most of them continued to allow smoking even though most people do not smoke, therefore over half of pubs should have been no smoking before the ban. If the voluntary codes had worked to create this balance maybe you would not now have to put up with the ban!

ostrogoth wrote:
IF SOME PUBS ALLOWED SMOKING AND SOME NOT, ROUGHLY PRO RATA TO THE NUMBER
OF SMOKERS AND NON SMOKERS , WE COULD DISCUSS THE RIGHTS AND WRONGS OF
SMOKING. WHEN THAT DAY , IF EVER , ARRIVES, ONLY THEN CAN THE ISSUE OF FAIRNESS
BE DEBATED BY MEN AND WOMEN WHOSE OPINION IS BASED ON REASON AND COMMON SENSE

A TOTAL BAN BY IT,S OWN TOTALITY NEGATES ANY COMMENT BY IT'S SUPPORTERS ON
THE ISSUE OF DEMOCRACY FREEDOM OR TOLERANCE.

WHEN I LISTEN TO THE ADVOCATES OF TOTALITY THEIR LIES AND DECEIPT BETRAY THEIR
FUTILITY AND COWARDICE. THEY POUR THEIR CRINGING NEUROSIS DOWN THE GAPING
MOUTHS OF THE UNKNOING AND EASILY LEAD.

TO THEM AND SIMILAR
FAC UT VIVAS

OSTROGOTH
Back to top Go down
soapy

PostSubject: Re: Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise?   Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 4:36 am

hello Lilachamster,

what you say is correct, non smokers always had the freedom to choose whether or not to set up non-smoking venues, they chose not to and went to smoking pubs.

Weatherspoons provided mandatory smoke free premesis non smokers chose to go to smoking pubs. this proved beyond a doubt that non smokers did not want non smoking pubs.

why do you think it right that smokers and non-smokers should be legally forced into pubs they do not want.

Give the landlord s their choice back andprovide for the true majority.
Back to top Go down
MRab2

PostSubject: Re: Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise?   Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 4:35 pm

The reason that not enough non-smoking pubs were created was simple; they were less commercially viable than venues that allowed smoking. That was well known, but that didn't stop the anti-freedom movement pretending the ban would be good for business.
This IN SPITE of verifiable economic damage wherever a ban came in to effect in other places around the globe.

In short, they lied, and if they lied about that, doesn't that beg the question; what else might they be lying about?
Back to top Go down
lenise

PostSubject: Re: Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise?   Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 6:51 pm

No it is not a real compromise. It is an excuse for petty antis to get revenge. But, as with all petty people, they themselves end up suffering, as their smoking buddies (who, according to antis themselves, are "filthy") abandon the pub.
Back to top Go down
leafar

PostSubject: Re: Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise?   Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 9:58 am

Nope, its deeply unfair. Antis are only interested in themselves, so to them, it is fair. But to those who live in the real world, it is unfair and it is falling apart for that very reason.
Back to top Go down
Lilachamster

PostSubject: Re: Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise?   Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 4:38 pm

Leafar you are so wrong. I am not only interested in myself, I am actually interested in a healthy and safe future for today's children, it is too late for me, my lungs are too damaged by years of childhood passive smoking for me ever to be fully healthy.
We can only achieve that healthy future by banning smoking completely.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise?   Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 4:44 pm

Lilachamster :

I'd just like to suggest that perhaps you start a thread about banning smoking completely (in the relevant section). Just a suggestion, and it would expand the debate. Not that you're off topic this time, it's just a suggestion.

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
https://uksmokingban.forumotion.com
satin88

PostSubject: Re: Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise?   Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise? I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 3:05 pm

Spain has a good system. Actually it's much fairer than ours.
Back to top Go down
lenise

PostSubject: Re: Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise?   Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise? I_icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 9:10 am

Yes and the people there seem much happier than in our pubs, where the misery and discomfort can be seen in almost everyone. This situation isn't welcomed or accepted, it is grudgingly tolerated. We know it, anti smokers know it.
Back to top Go down
leafar

PostSubject: Re: Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise?   Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 7:50 am

Thats true, its a really bad system that we have. We have the most draconian ban in the world.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise?   Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is the smoking ban fair? Is it a fair compromise?
Page 1 of 1