The UK Smoking Ban

Here is a chance for people of all shades of opinion to discuss the rights and wrongs of the UK smoking ban.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Whats the solution?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
leafar

Whats the solution? Empty
PostSubject: Whats the solution?   Whats the solution? I_icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 9:41 am

Lets imagine that i want to go to a particular pub. I cant smoke inside and neither can anyone else.

I walk past and id like to go in. I prefer to smoke while i drink, but i know that if i do, ill have to go outside whenever i want to smoke. This means that approximately every 15 minutes (maybe less), ill have to go outside for 5-10 mins and the reason for this is that if i dont smoke i cannot properly enjoy myself.

Inside, there are a couple of people that i know, some of them smoke and some dont. I know that if i go in, the conversation between me and those people will be constantly interrupted. I will want to go out to smoke from time to time, and the other smokers in my group will want to do the same, and not always at the same time. At times the non smokers will be willing to join me / us, and at other times they wont. The non smokers will be affected by this just as much as the smokers and myself.

Also, there are people in the pub who i / we meet, and the conversations between us will also be interrupted and in some cases fizzle away.

In addition to this, outside the pub there are some slightly unsavoury people hanging around and not all of them are customers, theyre just there. Theres a guy who goes around asking people for money, there are a couple of very drunk people causing trouble, that kind of thing. Being outside would be very uncomfortable because of this, and it would be hard to relax and it would defeat the entire object of going to the pub. Non smokers who are outside will also feel the same.

Whats the solution, ban supporters?

Please remember to use the same arguments about choice, compromise and freedom that you use to defend your position when answering my question. I will be happy to post dictionary definitions of those terms upon request, in order to avoid confusion as to their meanings.

Also i would be interested to see how far any ban supporter is willing to go with this, as i notice a trend in these debates, which is known as hit and run posting. Im sure youre very familiar with that.

To date, no ban supporter has ever managed to stay the course.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lilachamster

PostSubject: Re: Whats the solution?   Whats the solution? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 6:15 am

Are you allowed to use an e-cigarette in this pub? Why not use some nicotine gum or patches? Although I am not sure how gum would mix with drinking. Not sure why you want to go to a pub where there are drunks causing trouble and others harassing people for money, it does not sound like your hypothetical pub is a very classy one!
I'd guess most ban supporters cannot be bothered arguing with you because your anti-ban position completely disregards the health and comfort of the majority.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lilachamster

PostSubject: Re: Whats the solution?   Whats the solution? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 6:27 am

Alternatively accept that you wil not like it in the pub if you are not allowed to smoke there, and just don't go if it's that big a deal.
I wanted to be able to go into some indoor public places for many years (not so much pubs but there were other places I would have gone if they had been smoke-free). Before the ban I had to accept that since I was only able to be in places where smoking was not allowed, I would just have to avoid certain places. Sometimes I did write to local authorities and owners of places asking for smoking bans, as I knew there was a demand for it, but I sure as hell didn't whine as much as you about the limitations on where I could go! Now you people are getting a taste of your own medicine, and experiencing a small amount of the inconvenience I had imposed upon me for years, you just cannot deal with it! Why is that I wonder?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leafar

PostSubject: Re: Whats the solution?   Whats the solution? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 6:01 pm

So you admit that the smoking ban is causing inconvenience to non smoking pubgoers who are there with smokers, as well as smoking pubgoers.

Its very refreshing to hear you admit it, although you seem to get a thrill out of that. Very sadistic, and quite bizarre too, as youre quite happy to see non smokers being inconvenienced.

I wonder if the only person youre interested in not inconveniencing is yourself. Youre certainly very selective in which laws youre bothered about.

It would be interesting to watch a discussion between you and a non smoking pubgoer who is standing outside the pub, asking you the same question that im asking in this thread (ie. "whats the solution?")

So whats the solution? What should happen to remove that inconvenience for those 2 groups of people?

Also, how about we get back in the ring, as you promised.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marley

marley

PostSubject: Re: Whats the solution?   Whats the solution? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 6:31 am

Lilachamster wrote:
Alternatively accept that you wil not like it in the pub if you are not allowed to smoke there, and just don't go if it's that big a deal.
I wanted to be able to go into some indoor public places for many years (not so much pubs but there were other places I would have gone if they had been smoke-free). Before the ban I had to accept that since I was only able to be in places where smoking was not allowed, I would just have to avoid certain places. Sometimes I did write to local authorities and owners of places asking for smoking bans, as I knew there was a demand for it, but I sure as hell didn't whine as much as you about the limitations on where I could go! Now you people are getting a taste of your own medicine, and experiencing a small amount of the inconvenience I had imposed upon me for years, you just cannot deal with it! Why is that I wonder?

Hamster, revenge may be sweet to you but it simply shows what a pathetic excuse for a person you are. At least you had a choice of where to go, smokers now have no choice. How nice for you that your bigotry requires a ban in places that you do not use. My revenge is that idots like you will have to pay for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats the solution?   Whats the solution? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whats the solution?
Page 1 of 1