The UK Smoking Ban
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The UK Smoking Ban

Here is a chance for people of all shades of opinion to discuss the rights and wrongs of the UK smoking ban.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

I have a theory

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
leafar

I have a theory Empty
PostSubject: I have a theory   I have a theory I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 11:49 am

I think that there is a hardcore element of antis who genuinely dont care about freedom at all. Theyll say anything, anything at all to defend this smoking ban, no matter how many people are against them, and no matter how good the arguments thrown at them are. To them, it doesnt matter, none of it. The only thing that matters is their agenda, whatever that may be.

This is the tiny minority, and really theyre not the problem.

But i also think that most antis are just regular people who have their personal reasons for agreeing with the smoking ban. Sure, theyll act like bafoons on the forums and theyll come across almost like cartoon characters.

But i bet that if you sat with them and there was none of the pantomime element that you naturally end up with on a forum, one would almost certainly find it relatively easy to get them to admit that the smoking ban, despite all their personal reasons for feeling like they have to agree with it, is actually a really really bad idea. Youd also find it easy (maybe) to get them to admit that the opposition to it is indeed great, and that it also has done a lot of damage.

Take lilachamster as a perfect example. Her issue, her "thing" is the fact that she personally, as an indivudual, suffers badly around smoke. Fair enough. Her problem however is that she takes that idea, and then she concocts reasons why the smoking ban is a good idea, so that she ends up with a theory that neatly fits with her personal comfort.

But the world doesnt work that way. She knows that most people are not like her, she knows that most non smokers arent that sensitive, and she must also realise that a lot of non smokers do actually like tobacco even if they dont smoke. But she cant stop herself from closing her eyes to some basic facts about freedom and compromise.

Freedom means that within reason, everyone is free to do as they please. To achieve the "within reason" bit, you need compromise.

Its almost 2 years now, and the debates are still raging everywhere (although many antis deny it...while being involved in them, its called doublethink). This is a major clue that tells us that peoples natural sense of freedom and compromise is being violated. It just doesnt feel right to have a ban on smoking in the very environment where it absolutely most certainly should be allowed.

What we, the clear thinking non smokers and smokers need to do (and lets not forget that this has never been smokers V non smokers, thats just a classic divide and rule tactic), is tell the difference between a hardcore anti and a misguided one. Im sure there are ways to get through to them.

And thats my theory. Its also correct because just like all antis, im always right.
Back to top Go down
BarneyBear

I have a theory Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have a theory   I have a theory I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 12:53 pm

leafar wrote:
I think that there is a hardcore element of antis who genuinely dont care about freedom at all. Theyll say anything, anything at all to defend this smoking ban, no matter how many people are against them, and no matter how good the arguments thrown at them are. To them, it doesnt matter, none of it. The only thing that matters is their agenda, whatever that may be.

This is the tiny minority, and really theyre not the problem.

But i also think that most antis are just regular people who have their personal reasons for agreeing with the smoking ban. Sure, theyll act like bafoons on the forums and theyll come across almost like cartoon characters.

But i bet that if you sat with them and there was none of the pantomime element that you naturally end up with on a forum, one would almost certainly find it relatively easy to get them to admit that the smoking ban, despite all their personal reasons for feeling like they have to agree with it, is actually a really really bad idea. Youd also find it easy (maybe) to get them to admit that the opposition to it is indeed great, and that it also has done a lot of damage.

Take lilachamster as a perfect example. Her issue, her "thing" is the fact that she personally, as an indivudual, suffers badly around smoke. Fair enough. Her problem however is that she takes that idea, and then she concocts reasons why the smoking ban is a good idea, so that she ends up with a theory that neatly fits with her personal comfort.

But the world doesnt work that way. She knows that most people are not like her, she knows that most non smokers arent that sensitive, and she must also realise that a lot of non smokers do actually like tobacco even if they dont smoke. But she cant stop herself from closing her eyes to some basic facts about freedom and compromise.

Freedom means that within reason, everyone is free to do as they please. To achieve the "within reason" bit, you need compromise.

Its almost 2 years now, and the debates are still raging everywhere (although many antis deny it...while being involved in them, its called doublethink). This is a major clue that tells us that peoples natural sense of freedom and compromise is being violated. It just doesnt feel right to have a ban on smoking in the very environment where it absolutely most certainly should be allowed.

What we, the clear thinking non smokers and smokers need to do (and lets not forget that this has never been smokers V non smokers, thats just a classic divide and rule tactic), is tell the difference between a hardcore anti and a misguided one. Im sure there are ways to get through to them.

And thats my theory. Its also correct because just like all antis, im always right.

Yes, I agree with you leafar, the person with pseudonym "lilachamster", sounds rather neurotic. Her multiple health problems probably stem from GENETIC factors. It is convenient for her to blame tobacco, ignoring a multitude of irritants in our living environment, whether in the air we breathe or food we ingest. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Lilachamster

I have a theory Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have a theory   I have a theory I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 1:22 pm

Admin, what about personal remarks made here? I am not supposed to post, but if I made personal remarks on the supporters zone against BarneyBear, I would expect this person to have a right to reply!
For the record I do not have multiple health problems, only a very extreme smoke sensitivity which is absolutely debilitating when I am affected
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

I have a theory Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have a theory   I have a theory I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 3:45 pm

Lilachamster, I don't want to have to keep saying this, but you are consistently breaking the rules of this forum. Don't post in this section. It is clearly for those who oppose the smoking ban. This goes for everyone, the rules are clear.

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
https://uksmokingban.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

I have a theory Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have a theory   I have a theory I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I have a theory
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The UK Smoking Ban :: Groups :: Smoking Ban Opposers Zone-
Jump to: