The UK Smoking Ban
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The UK Smoking Ban

Here is a chance for people of all shades of opinion to discuss the rights and wrongs of the UK smoking ban.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Armored cruiser

Go down 
AuthorMessage
be_map1512

Armored cruiser Empty
PostSubject: Armored cruiser   Armored cruiser I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 12:16 am

The armored cruiser, or armoured cruiser (see spelling differences), is a type of cruiser, a naval warship. The armored cruiser is protected by a belt of side armor, in addition to the armored deck and protective coal bunkers that define the protected cruiser.

Armored cruisers were the chief combatants in two naval battles—the Battle off Ulsan in the Russo-Japanese War, and the Battle of Coronel in World War I—and played important supporting roles in other battles of the period.

The development of the explosive shell in the mid-19th century made the use of armored warships inevitable, despite the cost and weight. Armored cruisers began to appear in large Western navies around 1873 and the type continued to be built until 1908. Around this time they were rapidly being outclassed by the new 'all big gun' dreadnought-type warships, notably battlecruisers, which compared favorably in all aspects and thus succeeded armored cruisers.

fishing rods
vibrating exercise machines
Back to top Go down

Armored cruiser
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The UK Smoking Ban :: Individuals :: My Story-
Jump to: