The UK Smoking Ban
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The UK Smoking Ban

Here is a chance for people of all shades of opinion to discuss the rights and wrongs of the UK smoking ban.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Index register

Go down 
AuthorMessage
be_map1512

Index register Empty
PostSubject: Index register   Index register I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 11:07 pm

An index register[NB 1] in a computer's CPU is a processor register used for modifying operand addresses during the run of a program, typically for doing vector/array operations. Index registers were first used in the British Manchester Mark 1 computer, in 1949.

Index registers are used for a special kind of indirect addressing where an immediate constant (i.e. which is part of the instruction itself) is added to the contents of a register to form the address to the actual operand or data; architectures which allow more than one register to be used this way naturally have an opcode field for specifying which register to use.

In early computers without any form of indirect addressing, array operations had to be performed either by linearly repeating program code for each array element (i.e. over all address locations), or by using rather "dirty" self-modifying code techniques – both alternatives leading to quite significant disadvantages in program flexibility and maintenance, as well as being wasteful of computer memory; the latter a very scarce resource in computer installations of the early era (as well as in early microcomputers several decades later).

personal trainer certification
Melkco Samsung Galaxy s Leather Case
Back to top Go down

Index register
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The UK Smoking Ban :: Individuals :: My Story-
Jump to: