The UK Smoking Ban
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The UK Smoking Ban

Here is a chance for people of all shades of opinion to discuss the rights and wrongs of the UK smoking ban.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Arising out of the ASH thread, please let's think of the children (of smokers)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Lilachamster

Arising out of the ASH thread, please let's think of the children (of smokers) Empty
PostSubject: Arising out of the ASH thread, please let's think of the children (of smokers)   Arising out of the ASH thread, please let's think of the children (of smokers) I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 6:19 am

Thanks Hedgewitch for the explanation, I differ from the original ASH in that for me it is mainly about protecting the children.
I was always more upset about ppl smoking around children especially in a car, than around other adults as I (usually) have no problem now as an adult moving away from smokers outdoors (I do move away from them at bus stops and sometimes give them a bit of a dirty look) or I will speak up most times if they are in an indoor public place they are not allowed to be smoking. I will only speak up if I feel it is safe for me to do so, otherwise I will raise the issue to the relevant authority.
It is more difficult for the children of smokers, I know how it was for me so I would not appreciate anyone telling me I do not know what I am talking about here (Leafar seems to like telling me I do not know what I am talking about). Constant chest infections, breathing trouble, coughs, catarrh and headaches were the norm for me as a child, only for me to recover from these chronic illnesses as a young adult when I could leave home and get away from my smoking mother. I assume it is the same for many other children of smokers. In fact many get ear infections too which can be very painful, I was lucky this was not something I used to get, but I did have a sore throat a lot of the time and was "snuffly". If only everyone had known why I was always ill, it was so easily preventable.
Back to top Go down
leafar

Arising out of the ASH thread, please let's think of the children (of smokers) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arising out of the ASH thread, please let's think of the children (of smokers)   Arising out of the ASH thread, please let's think of the children (of smokers) I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 6:54 am

I really do suggest that you find out a bit more about ASH. Many smokers and non smokers are realising who they are and what theyre really trying to do. It isnt about smoking ultimately, it is about control, and you cant see it. Dont be a fool, dont think that they want to help you, and find out about them.

Ill get you started : They claim to be a charity, but they are not. And theres much more to know. Get your head out of the clouds and find out.
Back to top Go down
Lilachamster

PostSubject: Re: Arising out of the ASH thread, please let's think of the children (of smokers)   Arising out of the ASH thread, please let's think of the children (of smokers) I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 6:47 am

Some control is actually OK if it makes people healthier and happier even if some of you don't realise it yet, you will be happier once you adjust and move with the times now that our understanding of the harm of tobacco is advanced enough to make some control necessary. Rationing made a lot of people healthier in wartime when they did not eat so much meat and animal fat because of those foods being rationed. Most people are quite happy with the smoking ban, even most smokers who will just pop out and smoke then come in again, it is not a big deal for most of them and they can usually chat to one or two of the other smokers outside! From what I have seen they do not always look miserable outside the pub a few minutes! How long does it take you to smoke a cancer stick, about 7 minutes I read somewhere? We all need to live by some rules in this society, but maybe you would like total anarchy!
But of course in the case of ASH it is actually about smoking, not control or they would be tackling a lot more other issues if it was about control.
Back to top Go down
leafar

PostSubject: Re: Arising out of the ASH thread, please let's think of the children (of smokers)   Arising out of the ASH thread, please let's think of the children (of smokers) I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 6:49 am

Again, do some research on ASH.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Arising out of the ASH thread, please let's think of the children (of smokers)   Arising out of the ASH thread, please let's think of the children (of smokers) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Arising out of the ASH thread, please let's think of the children (of smokers)
Page 1 of 1