The UK Smoking Ban
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The UK Smoking Ban

Here is a chance for people of all shades of opinion to discuss the rights and wrongs of the UK smoking ban.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What Are The Positive Effects Of The UK Smoking Ban?

Go down 
+2
marley
Admin
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

What Are The Positive Effects Of The UK Smoking Ban? Empty
PostSubject: What Are The Positive Effects Of The UK Smoking Ban?   What Are The Positive Effects Of The UK Smoking Ban? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 9:47 am

Obviously it can argued that the smoking ban has resulted in pub interiors now being free of smoke, but what other arguments are there that it has had a positive effect?

Who has benefitted, and how? In what ways have...

- Non smokers with health issues relating to tobacco smoke
- Non smokers with no issues relating to tobacco smoke
- Smokers who might like to quit
- Smokers who have no desire to quit
- Pub landlords
- Pub staff
- People who work in pubs as DJs, musicians, etc
- People whose work is related to the pub industry
- Those who live in smokers' households
- The general public, specifically anybody walking past a pub
- Any other group

...benefitted from the smoking ban?
Back to top Go down
https://uksmokingban.forumotion.com
marley

marley

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Positive Effects Of The UK Smoking Ban?   What Are The Positive Effects Of The UK Smoking Ban? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 10:04 am

Only bad news this ban. how can there be any benefit when there was never any benefit to be had. If the risks associated with smoking held any real danger then no one would smoke, but it's a bit like bungee jumping, you know there is a slight risk of harm but the exhilaration is more than worth worth that risk.
For the pubs and all who make a living from them, including related industries, this ban is a total right off. It pushes destruction ahead of it and leaves carnage in it's wake, and for what? so that a few soft arsed scaredy's don't have to breathe a bit of smoke in a place they seldom frequent anyway. BTW the only benefit for me is that I can now walk away from boring people to have a cig.
Back to top Go down
Lilachamster

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Positive Effects Of The UK Smoking Ban?   What Are The Positive Effects Of The UK Smoking Ban? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 2:26 pm

Almost everyone has benefitted from it healthwise even if a few places have shut down, other places have flourished and found it good for business.

Why would anyone not walk away from non-smokers to smoke, if people did not want it in their faces? It's called common courtesy. You should not need the ban to tell you how to be polite about your habit! Being someone who does not like smoke does not equal boring, that's quite a weird connection to make.

If I have to walk by a pub it's no big deal. I walk on the other side of the street to get past the smokers, so having smokers outdoors was something I always had to dodge anyway. I am quite allergic to smoke and like having the choice to go out to more places since the ban, could go to only a few places before the ban.
Back to top Go down
leafar

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Positive Effects Of The UK Smoking Ban?   What Are The Positive Effects Of The UK Smoking Ban? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 5:33 pm

Almost everyone? Could you go through each of the people listed in the original post and explain how each group has benefitted?
Back to top Go down
marley

marley

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Positive Effects Of The UK Smoking Ban?   What Are The Positive Effects Of The UK Smoking Ban? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 12:20 pm

And may I ask Lilachamster, how often do you frequent pubs now the ban is in place. I ask this question because I would be interested to know how your habits have changed in this 'better' atmosphere.
For the record, the least interesting people I am aquainted with are non smokers, even the the ex smokers don't take long to become quite boring . It's as if stopping smoking suddenly makes their brain stop wanting to be interesting. It's as if the passion of life has been sucked out of them. They even frequent the pub less and drink at home alone. Their carefree attitude has stiffened. Quite bizarre really. Friendships which were built over decades become aquaintances almost overnight since the ban because the pub atmosphere is now diluted with the smell of BO, urine, stale beer, cheap scent and cheaper air freshener and even the non smokers that I know don't like it either. So pub fails, social life zero just to please a few raving anti smokers who might fancy a quick J2O on the way to evensong or wherever they are off to, and hundreds of thousands of folk out of a job. I can see that the hospitality industry is just overflowing with 'benefits'.
Back to top Go down
Lilachamster

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Positive Effects Of The UK Smoking Ban?   What Are The Positive Effects Of The UK Smoking Ban? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 8:08 am

Passion for death is all that smokers have! Passion for life, how can you say smokers have this, when many of them will spend their last days hooked up to oxygen tanks slowly suffocating to death?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Positive Effects Of The UK Smoking Ban?   What Are The Positive Effects Of The UK Smoking Ban? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 am

Can all posters please stay on topic. The direction of this thread has been clearly established in the initial post.

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
https://uksmokingban.forumotion.com
leafar

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Positive Effects Of The UK Smoking Ban?   What Are The Positive Effects Of The UK Smoking Ban? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 9:56 am

Lilachamster, youre making a twat of yourself. Either stay on topic or go back to your inactive filthysmokers forum.

There probably are some positive effects of the smoking ban, but they are outweighed by the negatives.
Back to top Go down
marley

marley

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Positive Effects Of The UK Smoking Ban?   What Are The Positive Effects Of The UK Smoking Ban? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 1:23 pm

Thank you for your rapid and truly predictable response Lilachamster, we are discussing benefits of the ban so here are a few.
Ten or so of my old chums now don't have to go to work in the smelly pubs anymore - coz they have shut down. Evil or Very Mad
I have saved enough cash from not buying beer in the pub to buy a new motor.
cheers
On my occasional visits to a pub, I get the opportunity to have a good laugh at the poor muppets who are sat on their own coz the smokers are outside.
But best of all is that I no longer have to talk to those tediously boring ex smokers. cheers bounce king
Back to top Go down
SeanBen

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Positive Effects Of The UK Smoking Ban?   What Are The Positive Effects Of The UK Smoking Ban? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 1:11 am

Obviously that is so positive thing in itself that smoking is banned. Although it is very harmful for health issues also and tobacco may destroy the lungs but once we are addicted to it no thing in world seems to be good then vaping. But still that is a good sign.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.atmosrx.com/
villeny

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Positive Effects Of The UK Smoking Ban?   What Are The Positive Effects Of The UK Smoking Ban? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 4:30 pm

agree that smoking ban is good for many non-smokers, but what about others, those who smoke more that 15 years, for example...it's very difficult to give up smoking
Back to top Go down
http://www.cheapsmokingcigars.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Positive Effects Of The UK Smoking Ban?   What Are The Positive Effects Of The UK Smoking Ban? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What Are The Positive Effects Of The UK Smoking Ban?
Page 1 of 1