The UK Smoking Ban
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The UK Smoking Ban

Here is a chance for people of all shades of opinion to discuss the rights and wrongs of the UK smoking ban.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Ongoing Debate

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

The Ongoing Debate Empty
PostSubject: The Ongoing Debate   The Ongoing Debate I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2008 6:09 pm

Is the fact that the UK smoking ban is still being intensely debated a sign of strong public opinion against it, or is it merely a phase of adjustment?
Back to top Go down
https://uksmokingban.forumotion.com
Lilachamster

The Ongoing Debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ongoing Debate   The Ongoing Debate I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 2:49 pm

Merely a phase of adjustment as the die-hard smokers die out gradually, and a new generation with very few smokers grows up, with the young smokers growing up knowing better how to be courteous (and suitably ashamed) about their habit
Back to top Go down
TheBigYin

The Ongoing Debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ongoing Debate   The Ongoing Debate I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 3:20 pm

Lilachamster wrote:
Merely a phase of adjustment as the die-hard smokers die out gradually, and a new generation with very few smokers grows up, with the young smokers growing up knowing better how to be courteous (and suitably ashamed) about their habit

Definately not a phase of ajustment because smoking will NEVER die out, it was tried by the Nazis and failed as a mechanism of control of the populace. As was prohibition of alcohol in the USA. Some of our greatest figures and thinkers were smokers, Winston Churchill, Edwin P. Hubble, Albert Einstein, Franklin Delano Roosevelt to name but a few, which does not go to say that there were not many non smoking famous people but the smokers died late in life giving lie to the assumption that smokers die at an earlier age than non smokers.

Smokers should NEVER be ashamed for enjoying one of the simple things of life, a smoke.

TBY
Back to top Go down
Lilachamster

The Ongoing Debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ongoing Debate   The Ongoing Debate I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 3:25 pm

It's easy enough for you to pick a few individual statistical anomalies, the fact remains that smokers on average die younger than non-smokers. I am sure if Einstein were alive today he would know better than to smoke, in his day they did not know how harmful it was!
Back to top Go down
TheBigYin

The Ongoing Debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ongoing Debate   The Ongoing Debate I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 3:29 pm

Lilachamster wrote:
It's easy enough for you to pick a few individual statistical anomalies, the fact remains that smokers on average die younger than non-smokers. I am sure if Einstein were alive today he would know better than to smoke, in his day they did not know how harmful it was!

Time for you rodent to move on to another section of this forum and show me the harmful effects you say and back it up with the science, for every junk science fact I will have bountiful evidence that you were duped, and more than that, were complicit in being duped, into the smoke and mirrors laid down by the tobacco haters who have no sound reasoning.

Give it your best shot!

TBY
Back to top Go down
Lilachamster

The Ongoing Debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ongoing Debate   The Ongoing Debate I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 3:44 pm

I'm not even going to pretend to be a science expert.
What I do know without a shadow of doubt is that smoke has a very bad effect on me, which I am not going to bore you with the effects of right now other than to say that if you were hospitalised with breathing trouble due to passive smoke in a taxi at 7 months pregnant, and feared for your life and the life of your child, then that would probably have a lifelong effect on how you felt about cigarettes and smoking.
Back to top Go down
leafar

The Ongoing Debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ongoing Debate   The Ongoing Debate I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 6:59 pm

Its been a year and a half. Pubs are still closing. The forums are still going, with many people still against it.

How long is this phase of adjustment going to last before you realise that it is in fact the case that it is not just a phase?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Ongoing Debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ongoing Debate   The Ongoing Debate I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Ongoing Debate
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The UK Smoking Ban :: Smoking Ban & Smoking Related Issues :: Effects Of The Smoking Ban-
Jump to: