The UK Smoking Ban

Here is a chance for people of all shades of opinion to discuss the rights and wrongs of the UK smoking ban.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Use of the word Anti

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Use of the word Anti   Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:48 pm

What exactly is an anti? Does Anti mean anti smoking or anti choice? What kind of person does this term refer to? Is it fair to use this word? Is it fair to compare antis to Nazis or is this just an unfounded excuse to be offensive?

KEEP IT CLEAN PLEASE.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://uksmokingban.forumotion.com
soapy

PostSubject: Re: Use of the word Anti   Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:15 pm

It is histrical fact that the Nazis pioneered second hand smoke research some of which was paid for by Adolf Hitler personnally, It is alleged that Sir Richard Doll worked with the Nazi's prior to World War 2 and he was Britains "expert"on second hand smoke.

Either way the law is based on Nazi ideology and it is easy to understand why some people have made this link between anti smokers and Nazism especially when you consider that the attitude some non smokers (a very small Minority as was the Nazi party until Hindenburgs death) display with their abuse and rhetoric, it is in my opinion no different to the attitude of the Nazi's toward the Jews, the gypsies and anyone else who stood in their way.

The word Anti by its very translation from Latin can mean to be against, opposed to or even after (Ante i.e.antebellum or post war) so in away everyone is anti something so I do not believe any 'evil' slant should be used in respect to the word Anti.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leafar

PostSubject: Re: Use of the word Anti   Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:21 pm

Anti is just another word for nazi. Nazis were antis, antis are nazis.

Think about it : nazi, anti, its almost an anagram. If you squint your eyes they look like the same word.

Nazi, nati, anti, anzi, you get the idea.

Anti means anti choice, anti freedom. So does nazi.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Moonshine28

PostSubject: Re: Use of the word Anti   Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:21 pm

I am probably regarded as an anti, but I am certainly no nazi, nor am I against free choice. I choose not to have to breathe smoke when I go for a drink. Some bar staff choose to work their shifts in a smoke free atmosphere. Are we to be denied our freedom of choice just so that smokers, who are now in a minority in our society, can indulge in their selfish "pleasures" at will?

This is the problem with freedom of choice, which I wholeheartedly support incidentally. Inevitably, in many different circumstances, one person exercising their freedom of choice severely restricts or even curtails someone else's.

Smokers believe they have a right to smoke wherever and whenever they choose. Non-smokers believe they have a right not to have to breathe someone else's smoke. What happens when these two factions have to share a room? The law just clarifies this situation, thus hopefully avoiding a confrontation. The smoker may still exercise their right to smoke, in private or in the open air, but they must not do it in an enclosed public place. This, I believe, is probably the best compromise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lenise

PostSubject: Re: Use of the word Anti   Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:19 pm

Moonshine28, you say that you are all for free choice, and then immediately the first thing that pops into your mind is your free choice. What's up with that?

Anti choicers, of which you are one, do not believe that anybody should have free choice except for themselves. As soon as they say words like "freedom" or "choice" they immediately, without delay, start to talk about their freedom of choice.

And please do not patronise members by by saying "which I wholeheartedly support incidentally", despite the clear evidence that you do not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.sleuth

PostSubject: Re: Use of the word Anti   Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:54 am

'I choose not to have to breathe smoke when I go for a drink'

Then why not use a non smoking pub and have the decency to 'allow' smokers to use a smoking pub.
Why should all pubs have to be non smoking just because of what you want.

Quote :
'The smoker may still exercise their right to smoke, in private or in the open air, but they must not do it in an enclosed public place. This, I believe, is probably the best compromise.'

The non smoker had the choice to stand outside a pub in the open air prior to the ban if they didn't like the smoke. So if that was not a nice thing to have to do, why are you insisting that smokers stand outside.
Not much democracy there is there ?

The majority of publican don't want anti smokers in their pubs as they are the very people that have destroyed the pubs and the landlords livings.
If I were an anti smokers I would hate to be in a pub now knowing that I was not wanted and I was only being tolerated there to help the landlord stave off bankruptcy for a few more months.

Last edited by s.sleuth on Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Use of the word Anti   Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:17 am

Moonshine28 and s.sleuth, Feel free to touch upon any subject in order to make your point. However, the topic here is the use of the word "anti". Please make sure that you relate what you say to the topic of the thread.

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://uksmokingban.forumotion.com
marley

PostSubject: Re: Use of the word Anti   Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:19 am

In response to Moonshine, an obvious anti, your statement "This, I believe, is probably the best compromise." Yes for you, because you are the epitomy of everything you claim smokers to be, selfish. So the simple and effective answer would be to segregate the anti's from the smokers in separate pubs and clubs, which would suit me not having to suffer those miserable and feeble pious bigots in the same room as me, except that the smokers places would be so popular that the anti's would then feel all lonely and left out (awww - shame) and then start demanding to use our space.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soapy

PostSubject: Re: Use of the word Anti   Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:48 am

There is a distinct difference between an anti smoker and a non-smoker,
an anti smoker demands that non-smokers get preferencial treatment, they demonise smokers creating a second class citizen in the same way the Nuremberg Decrees in the 1930's did for the jews in Nazi Germany, they consider themselves better than smokers and allow their elitism to blind them to the fact all are born equal.

Non-smokers are far more tolerant, they present their point of view while acknowledging that smokers should not be demonised or treated as second class citizens. Indeed many of them have argued for separate indoor facilities for smokers. I have had the pleasure of debating some of them on various forums and while we may not always agree have found that they are no different to myself and are willing to seek a reasonable compromise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leafar

PostSubject: Re: Use of the word Anti   Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:52 am

Yes, and what antis like to do in order to create the illusion of credibility is make out that all or most non smokers are antis.

Not true, far from it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Use of the word Anti   

Back to top Go down

Use of the word Anti
Page 1 of 1